Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ike Does Damage to our House!




Ike came though last night and cut off our power at about midnight. We then heard a LOT of wind and a LOT of banging about 3am. I checked the house and found leaks. I went up in the attic (this is while the eye was very near us) and found out that we were taking on considerable water. The roof had about a 20 x 15 square patch of shingles removed and it was letting in a LOT of water. I would say maybe 10 gallons all told - although it is VERY tough to tell.

I managed to procure a tarp or two and tarped up the hole with about 11 billion screws. I got to work on the phone (with friends help who had power) and began calling the insurance and roofing companies. I managed to get a hold of a few companies and even found a guy helping a relative down the street in the roofing business. The insurance will not get back to me for up to four days and after that I have to get the work done. I am thinking two to three weeks with a wounded roof and trying to dry out.

The power came back on 9 hours after it was cut off (noon) and we have been with power every since. I even managed to fix our dish - so we have TV. Our water is fine and all considered it could have been a LOT worse. We are healthy - the boys are happy - and things seem to be going well.

Keep us in your thoughts.

Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home